Grounded

I’m seven weeks pregnant, and have been home on bed rest for the past two weeks since I started spotting. On Wednesday they switched me to PIO injections to try to slow down the spotting. Everything was going okay, until Thursday. I’d been feeling a little crampy all morning, but assumed my stomach was just working on digestion due to all the extra progesterone in my system slowing things down.

Suddenly, our dogs started barking furiously and it almost sounded like someone was trying to get into the back of our house. Of course, I was home alone and so I panicked. I stood up from my nest of pillows on the couch, and started walking toward the back door. That’s when I felt a huge gush of fluid come out. One visit to the bathroom confirmed it was dark, red blood. I was super scared, and started shaking. (Of course, no one was trying to break in, it was the wind…those little turkeys had gotten me all riled up for nothing.)

My heart was racing as I tried to call Chris. He was in meetings and wasn’t checking his phone. I left him a message telling him what was going on, and asked him to come home as soon as possible. Then, I phoned the clinic. One talk with my nurse, and I wasn’t feeling reassured. I could tell my symptoms didn’t sound good. She asked me to come in that afternoon. I texted Chris the time of our appointment, and hoped he’d make it in time to go with me.

My husband is my hero. Chris made it home with time to spare. We made our way to the appointment downtown. I could tell he was freaked out.

When we checked in at the clinic, our nurse came out and met me in the waiting room. “Have you ever had a miscarriage?” She asked me.

I explained that I never had been pregnant before, but at our last clinic we’d had a failed IVF cycle. We knew she was thinking the worst. As she walked away, I started crying in the waiting room. A pregnant couple came in glowing. She was six weeks and complaining about nausea. I was so envious of her in that moment. Then, a nurse walked in with her baby. Chris and I couldn’t even look at her. The pregnant couple were oohing and ahhing over the baby. It was way too much.

Finally, we got called back into the ultrasound room. Our doctor came in confidently, and said we were his fourth case of bleeding that day, and it was probably nothing. Then, he started searching for Casper on the ultrasound. And searching. And searching. Nothing. I was ready to hear those words no one ever wants to hear.

To our surprise, at last we saw a little flicker in the center of the screen. He was there! Our doctor let out a huge sigh of relief. “Did you see that?” he said, “Your baby is a ninja! He was hiding on the ultrasound!”

For the first time we got to actually listen to Casper’s heartbeat via the Doppler. It was one of the coolest sounds I’ve ever heard. His fetal heart rate is 149 and he’s measuring 1.36cm from crown to rump, which puts us a little ahead of schedule. His estimated due date is now June 4, 2016. He’s doing really well, and we are so freaking happy to see that.

After looking for a while with the ultrasound, our doctor identified the cause of bleeding. Apparently, I have uterine tissue that grows into my uterine muscle. He said this is pretty common and he didn’t see this as being a problem or a threat to the pregnancy. He said I’d probably continue to bleed for a few weeks. Doc assured me that even though the symptoms seem dire, not to associate what I see with a miscarriage. That being said, I’ll have to continue with daily shots of progesterone for awhile since I’m bleeding.

Our RE gave me a hug before he left the room. I think he was relieved too. Our ninja baby gave everyone a huge scare. The second he left the room, Chris burst into tears. He couldn’t even speak he was so emotional. Finally he was able to get out that Casper is grounded…for the next eight months. I agreed wholeheartedly. Casper, we love you, and we already know you’re going to be a little spitfire. Just like your Mommy and Daddy.

60 thoughts on “Grounded

Thank you! I think I have a form of what you got diagnosed with, Angela. I want to double check with our RE before I say for sure. I know what he said started with an “a” but I can’t remember for sure. Is yours related to tissue in your muscle?

• Surviving Infertility says:

I have Adenomyosis, and yes it is related to that. I also had bleeding early on in my last pregnancy (unrelated to the loss, baby was healthy at scans), which was coming from a subchorionic hematoma. Im so glad your bleeding is unrelated to baby-Im sure it could be either of the two I mentioned causing the bleed. If you need anything let me know 💗

Sorry for all the questions, but have you always had really heavy periods? I had so many tests prior to ever even trying for kids to figure out what made my periods so freaking heavy. They never came up with a conclusive answer. I guess now I know. Thanks, my dear. I’m hoping good things to come for both of us. Hugs!!

It was terrifying! So glad it seems to be mellowing out now. I’m on modified bed rest, but still on leave from work. I’m really eager to get back. It’s already been two weeks, and I’ve got about two weeks to go. Thanks for checking in. I hope you’re doing well!

1. Nardia says:

I’ve been AWOL for a while so I’ve just caught up on all of this news! Congratulations on your pregnancy and so sorry you had to deal with such a scare! Such an awesome outcome though! I was so thrilled when I read this post! I promise I’ll be checking in a bit more regularly to keep taps on your progress!!!

2. True Hugbo says:

So glad all is well with Casper! I’m assuming adenomyosis? If so, that’s interesting because I had similar spotting and have that diagnosis (though nobody told me that could have been the reason). Did they actually move up your due date? I was always told they never do with IVF because you know with 100% certainty what the date is – if babe is measuring ahead it’s because he or she is just bigger. The reason I mention this is that it ends up mattering a lot in the end if you go overdue and they start pressuring you for an induction for no reason (since the due date is actually further back). Just something to think about. 🙂

I think it is adenomyosis. I didn’t get it written down in time to remember exactly, but that sounds right. Interesting that that was your diagnosis, and you also had spotting, too.

Interestingly enough, we haven’t received an official due date yet. I used an online calculator to figure ours out, but our last ultrasound had an estimated due date on it. I’ll be curious to see how he measures at the next scan. I’m very against induction, so I will make sure to advocate for us on that! Thank you!!

3. srabird says:

my goodness I just read your post in breakneck speed assuming the worst… thank the stars everything is fine and Casper is snuggled up and happy (and practicising his ninja moves!) Thats so good that they now know what is causing the bleeding and nothing to do with a miscarriage. deep breath! hang in there 🙂 xx