IVF #2: Progesterone is not my friend

Putrid grape-flavored lozenge

I’m just going to start off by saying, “YUCK.”

Today I had to ingest my first progesterone lozenges and they are beyond nasty. You know the grape-flavored medicine that everyone hates? This is so much more disgusting than that. For starters it’s a lozenge, so it lasts for what feels like an e-t-e-r-n-i-t-y. I have to take them underneath my tongue, and hold them there until they are completely dissolved. No joke, the dissolving process takes about 15 minutes. As it dissolves, the lozenge makes your mouth feel simultaneously numb and waxy. The first one I took this morning almost made me puke. I think partly that’s because I did it on an empty stomach. I don’t really have a choice, though. I have to take them about eight hours apart because I’m doing it three times a day. So this means bright and early when I wake up, midday, and before bed. Even after transfer, I get to do this until my 10th week of pregnancy. I’m already sick of it. Honestly though, I will do anything to become a mom. So if it means ingesting repulsive grape-flavored medicine, I’ll do it 100 years if necessary. If given the choice, I would much rather do progesterone in oil. I’m already doing estrogen in oil, so what’s another shot?!

Last cycle with a different doctor, I did Crinone suppositories for my progesterone and they were icky! TMI Alert: if you haven’t experienced the joy of  Crinone, let me just tell you what you’re missing. They contain a bio adhesive that makes them literally get stuck in your vag for as long as possible. I used to pass gigantic clots of glue every day. My husband didn’t even want to touch me while I was taking the stuff. And I don’t blame him! To call them gross is quite an understatement.

Endometrin tablet and applicator

This time I’m taking Endometrin three times a day. I’ve only taken two doses, but so far I like them a lot more than the Crinone. The only downside I’ve noticed so far, is that they’re making me feel a little bit irritated down there. They are a pill instead of a gel, and you insert them with an applicator. They dissolve up there, and then they kind of slowly leak out throughout the day. Pantiliners are a must-have on this stuff.

So far I’ve noticed that I’ve been getting headaches right after my dosages of the lozenges and the Endometrin. I feel little bit detached from my body after I take them for about an hour or two. I hope this is something I can adjust to, or that will eventually start to go away on its own, because it’s a distraction in the middle of my day. The headaches are not debilitating, so I’ll be able to manage for awhile. What’s 11ish weeks when you get a lifetime with your kid, right!? πŸ‘ΆπŸΌ

17 thoughts on “IVF #2: Progesterone is not my friend

Those losanges sound delish! πŸ˜‰ is there a reason why you can’t take your doses at night instead of morning? I’m on prometrium suppositories now and they’re not as bad as I expected. I do one capsule at night. I hated crinone! The prometrium doesn’t come with an applicator so it’s pretty *great* trying to shove it way up there, but beats crinone by far. I did PIO shots for the first 10 or so weeks and they weren’t too bad after a while…we became pros. Have fun! πŸ˜‰

Very good to know! I tried acupuncture once, but I wasn’t really sure if it did much for me, and at $60 a session I wasn’t too sure if I wanted to jump for it. However, I really want to do anything I can to turn things in our favor, so I’m willing to give it a go. Glad to hear it relieve some of the symptoms for you. I think I’m going to schedule another appointment right now!

• g2the4thpower says:

Yeah it unfortunately ate up my annual maximum for paramedical coverage right away, but I figured it was worthwhile. I noticed a big difference during stim phases between the cycle I did Acu and the one I didn’t.

2. chrishopeful says:

You are such a champion. Thank you for having such a great attitude in the midst of such tremendously unpleasant daily to-dos. I wish I could take these instead so that you didn’t have to!

Liked by 2 people

I had crinone! It was really gross… Thought it was just me and my body’s inability to “digest” it! Glad it’s a thing! (I enjoyed getting rid of it once IVF was a bust!)

4. True Hugbo says:

OMG that looks disgusting! I’ve never even heard of lozenges. I used suppositories 3x per day, not Crinone but a compounded progesterone that looked like a wax bullet. I also did PIO shots. Honestly as much as people complain about PIO shots, that was my favourite mode of delivery of progesterone as it happens once per day, there is no leakage of any sort, no cervical irritation, etc. The headaches are from the estrogen.

Thanks, Andrea! We spent the weekend in the mountains, and brought the doggies. I tried to get all my ADD energy out of my system so I can chill these next two days. It was a wonderful getaway. We’re ready for tomorrow. Both of us are full of butterflies. Thanks for the good thoughts. Love you lots.